Tea tree oil is made from leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia which has its origin from Australia. Tea tree oil is loaded with a lot of health benefits, it is a powerful antimicrobial oil. Very effective in treating any kind of skin microbial infections including herpes, head lice, acne and some of other skin related infections. The chemical fights fungus, bacterial and prevent allergic skin reactions with make tea tree oil popular remedy for treating toenail fungus infection.
According to research conducted at the Society for General Microbiology in Edinburgh it was revealed that tea tree essential oil is powerful alternative to antibiotics and significantly used to fight drug-resistant hospital superbugs, and treat colds skin infections and insect bites. Many studies have also confirmed that tea tree essential oil can be used to kill fungal and bacterial species
Symptoms of Nail Fungus Infection
- Flaky nail with yellow spots
- A distorted nail
- An odor from the infected nail
- Brittle nail
- Loss of the nail
What causes toenail fungus?
Nail fungal infections are generally caused by a dermatophyte fungus. This fungal infections can also be caused by Yeasts and molds
What you will need for Tea Tree oil Nail Fungus
- Tea tree essential oil
- Carrier oil – Coconut oil
- Cotton ball
- Nail clipper and nail file
How to Treat Nail Fungus Infection: Tea Tree Essential Oil for Toenail Fungus
- Gently cut all the dead nails with nail clipper. Make sure the affected area is clean and free of any dead nails.
- Then use coarse nail filer to file down all the infected area. Be careful at this point not to scratch or cut skin. This reason for this is to make sure all the affected area are expose and clean before applying tea tree oil.
- Now wash your toenail or fingernails with warm clean water and antiseptic soap or you can even clean it with antiseptic wipes
The next step is to apply the tea tree to infected area of your fingernails.
Before you apply it make sure the tea tree oil is diluted with carrier oil (coconut oil, olive oil or jojoba oil) because if not it can cause skin irritation or allergic reactions if your skin is very sensitive.
Do not use tea tree oil internally because it is poisonous and keep it out of reach of children.
- Mix tea tree oil and olive oil in ratio 1:1 and rub the mixture on the affected nail 2 times day.
- It may take a full month or less to see better result.
- You can also mix tea tree oil with coconut oil in 2 ratio 1 for better result.
- Add 2 drops tea and 1 drop of coconut oil to cotton ball.
- Then bind the ball with bandage to your toe before going to bed and leave it on overnight.
- Do this for at least 4 weeks for tea tree oil nail fungus better treatment result